If you do not bind a payment method to your Apple ID, you will not be able to buy storage space iCloud or purchase music, movies and TV series from the iTunes Store, applications from App Store and Mac App Store, books from the iBooks Store, etc.
In such cases, iTunes gift cards or Apple Music gift cards will help you
After activation, the amount of the gift card is credited to your Apple ID account, which can be used for purchases in virtual stores Apple.
In this article, we'll walk you through the types of gift cards, how to use them, and how to activate iTunes and Apple Music gift cards.
About iTunes and Apple Music Gift Cards
ITunes Gift Cards and Apple Music Gift Cards are available from Apple, PayPal, Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, and more. Usually they are available for amounts of 1000, 1500, 3000 rubles, etc.
Gift cards can be obtained in physical form or digitally via email.
On the back of the card is a 16-digit activation code that always starts with an 'X'.
Activating the gift card will fund your Apple ID account.
The account is used to make purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store and iBooks Store. If the account has money, then it will be used for payment in the first place. When they run out, your saved payment method is used.
You can use your account to purchase the following:
- Apps from App Store and Mac App Store.
- In-app purchases.
- Songs, albums, movies, TV series, etc. from the iTunes Store.
- Books and audiobooks from the iBooks Store.
- Storage memory iCloud.
The account cannot be used to purchase iTunes gift cards and gifts.
Note: For some purchases, you will have to link a payment method, even if you have enough money in your account. For example, a saved payment method is required to pay for storage on a regular basis iCloud.
The account cannot be used for the following:
- Gift Apps – In order to gift someone an app or other content, you will need a payment method.
- Family Sharing – You cannot share money in your account with family members.
Even if a Family Sharing member makes a purchase for which there is enough money in the organizer's account, the money will be debited through their saved payment method, and not from the account.
If a Family Sharing member who has money in their account buys something, the money will be debited from their account.
The Apple Music Gift Card can be used for the following:
- Purchase a subscription Apple Music.
- Renewal of Apple Music subscription for a certain number of months.
- Crediting money to the account Apple ID.
How to redeem gift cards for iPhone and iPad
1) Open iTunes Store or App Store on your device with iOS.
2) In the iTunes Store, just scroll down and click Enter Code, and in App Store go to your profile page and click Redeem Gift Card or Code.
3) Log in with your Apple ID that you use for shopping.
Note: You can quickly go to the activation of the gift card by following the links below:
- To activate your iTunes gift card: this link
- To activate the gift card Apple Music: this link
If your device supports 3D Touch, you can press harder on the iTunes Store icon or App Store and select the Enter code option from the menu that appears on the home screen.
4) Choose whether you want to enter the code manually or scan the card:
- Scan – If you have a physical gift card, use this option to scan it with your camera. Just point the device camera at the code and wait for it to be scanned. This feature is not available in all countries.
- Manual Entry – Simply enter the code from the card by copying it from an email or rewriting from a physical card
When the gift card is activated, an updated account balance will appear on the screen. If you try to activate an already used card, an error message will appear.
When you activate the Apple Music gift card, you will be given a choice: top up your iTunes account or activate the Apple Music subscription.
This is what happens if you select the Apple Music subscription:
- Those who already have a subscription – Your subscription will be extended or renewed for the number of months indicated on the card.
- Those without a subscription – A subscription to the service will be purchased.
If you have never bought a Apple Music subscription, then along with the months indicated on the gift card, you will receive 3 more free months as a gift.
5) In the upper right corner, click Finish to complete the process.
If you want to activate another gift card, click Redeem Another Code.
Note: If you received your gift card in an email, please click on the Redeem now link directly in it.
You can view information about your balance in the iTunes Store or Apple Music as follows:
- iTunes Store – You can check your balance on the Apple ID page in the iTunes Store and App Store.
- Apple Music – To check your Apple Music subscription, go to Settings → [your name] → iTunes Store and App Store and select your Apple ID at the top of the screen. Click View Apple ID and then Subscriptions. From the list, select the subscription you want to view information about.
Your account balance is updated automatically upon activation of gift cards. If it doesn't, try logging out and logging back in to your Apple ID on all devices.
How to activate a gift card in the Music app
1) Open the Music app on your device with iOS.
2) Select the For You tab at the bottom of the screen.
3) Click on your profile in the upper right corner of the screen.
4) Select Redeem Gift Card or Code.
5) Scan the code on the card or enter it manually, and then click Redeem.
7) When the code is redeemed, tap Done.
How to redeem Apple Music gift card to Android
1) Open the Apple Music app on your device with Android.
You can download the Apple Music app for Android for free from the Google Play Store.
2) Click the Menu icon in the upper left corner.
3) Choose your Apple ID.
4) Click Redeem.
5) Enter the code from the gift card and click Redeem again.
How to redeem a gift card on Mac and PC from Windows
1) Open iTunes on your Mac or PC with Windows.
2) From the menu on the left, select Music, Movies, Shows or Apps, and then select the Store tab at the top of the window.
3) Click Redeem / Activate on the right side of the window.
Note: You can also select the Redeem Code option from the Account menu on the top bar.
You can quickly activate gift cards using the following links:
- ITunes Gift Card: this link
- Gift Card Apple Music: this link
4) Enter the password for your Apple ID and then press the Return or Enter key on your keyboard.
5) Select scan or manual code entry.
6) Click Redeem.
You can transfer money from the gift card to your account or activate the Apple Music subscription. After that, the updated balance will appear on the screen.
7) Click Finish.
To redeem your iTunes Gift Card on iBooks or App Store on Mac:
- iBooks – Open the iBooks app and click the iBooks Store icon in the upper left corner, then Redeem / Activate.
- App Store – Open the program App Store, go to your profile page and then select Redeem.