Earlier in the code iOS 10 unused resources were found for the dark theme, which gave rise to speculation about the introduction of a dark mode in iOS 10, which may be prepared for release along with iPhone 8. The dark interface should help iPhone 8 save energy, since the organic OLED – the display highlights individual pixels and does not require energy-intensive backlighting.
The Polish blog My Apple recently released an excellent video that tries to present what a full system dark mode might look like and some other speculative details iOS 11.
In addition to the wonderful dark mode (called night mode) in apps like Messages, Settings and Mail, the video also shows the possible implementation of several other rumors, including:
- Multiplayer mode on iPad
- Split screen into iPhone
- Group FaceTime calls
- Fixed orientation for each application
- Improved disk space management with the ability to clear cache and application data
- Support 3D Touch in the Control Center for tasks like switching Wi-Fi
- Game mode with quick notifications, screen recording and more
- Assistant Siri that allows you to find out important information based on the data on your device: for example, to track the movement of a parcel that you have recently ordered
Here is the video:
Particularly observant readers may have noticed that Apple has been experimenting with the dark interface in iOS for years. For example, Reading View in Safari, iBooks and the iTunes Store has a dark background starting at iOS 9.
The Clock app in iOS 10 also has a completely dark interface.
Since Apple Watch are equipped with a OLED – display, watchOS uses a dark theme to conserve power. tvOS 10 also supports dark mode, which you can optionally enable in the settings to better suit dark environments or rooms.
Apple intends to review future major updates iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS at the annual developer conference, which is expected to take place on June 9th.
How do you feel about this idea? Do you think Apple will introduce full system dark mode to iOS 11? Share your thoughts in the comments below.