Apple Zurich store evacuated due to faulty battery

A store Apple in Zurich had to evacuate staff along with customers due to overheating of the battery iPhone.

Apple - Store-Zurich-780 × 510

iPhone was in the process of being repaired when its battery malfunctioned, causing one of the workers minor burns and forcing about 50 people to leave the premises, according to Swiss police.

Batteries Apple are considered safe — especially compared to Samsung, for example — but any lithium ion cell can malfunction and overheat. In this case, the battery is likely damaged when an employee Apple tried to remove it.

“At this point, smoke appeared, causing about 50 visitors and store employees to leave the premises immediately,” police said. “The staff responded appropriately.”

The battery was covered with sand; to eliminate the smoke, the ventilation had to be turned on. Seven people required medical attention, but none were hospitalized. Forensic experts were called to the scene to deal with the incident.

It is unclear if this battery repair was carried out as part of the new battery replacement program Apple. It was a response to customer frustration after the company acknowledged its devices as 'planned obsolescence'. New batteries can be installed for as little as $ 29 regardless of warranty coverage.

Apple did not comment on this case.

Rate article
Site about smartphones, instructions, advice, ratings.
Add a comment