Today Apple has officially released the final versions of iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1 and tvOS 12.1. The updates were released immediately following the conclusion of the 'There’s more in the making' presentation, where the company introduced the new MacBook Air, Mac mini and iPad Pro.
Version iOS 12.1 contains four major new features: FaceTime conferences, new emoji, real-time Depth control, and eSIM support.
iOS 12.1 can be downloaded 'over the air' using the software update mechanism in the Settings> General> Software Update application.
According to the postscript to the update iOS 12.1, the new version contains:
- Support for FaceTime conferences with up to 32 people at the same time, with encrypted calls. Group FaceTime is available in the Messages app, and you can start a call right from your current chat. If users start a call, it will appear in the chat list and inside the chat itself.
- Over 70 new emojis are available on iPhone and iPad in iOS 12.1, including characters with red, gray and curly hair, as well as bald character emoji and emoji with new emotions, sports and food.
- With the update iOS 12.1 iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR received dual SIM support, including nano-SIM and digital eSIM. Users can activate an add-on plan without using a physical nano-SIM card.
- Improved depth of field settings in Portrait mode in iOS 12.1 allow for even more sophisticated portraits with bokeh effects. With Update iOS 12.1, users will be able to adjust the depth of the image not only after shooting, but also in real time, which will allow you to create even more amazing portraits with blurred backgrounds.
- Cellular coverage on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR has improved.
- The ability to change and reset the Screen Time password on your child's smartphone using Face ID or Touch ID.
- Fixed issue with main frame selection for selfies on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.
- Fixed problem with voicemail in Phone app.
- Fixed an issue in the Phone app that could cause numbers to be displayed without a contact name.
- Screen Time is now taken into account for all websites.
- Fixed an issue with adding family members.
- Added power management feature for iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
- VoiceOver improvements in Camera, for Siri and in Safari.
The new version is supported by the following devices:
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6sPlus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad 6th generation
- iPad 5th generation
- iPad Air2
- iPad Air
- iPad mini4
- iPad mini3
- iPad mini2
- iPodtouch 6th generation
The watchOS 5.1 and tvOS 12.1 updates contain only bug fixes.
The build numbers of the new versions are as follows:
- iOS 12.1: 16B92 | 16B93
- watchOS 5.1: 16R591
- tvOS 12.1: 16J602